Monday, June 16, 2014

-Lost some wisdom-

 June 5th I got three wisdom teeth taken out. The summer before Steve and I got married (2010) my parents said I should get my wisdom teeth out. I went in and they took an x-ray and said that the top two were too far up and the bottom left had a nerve that was close to the roots (our family tends to have long roots and slow developing teeth) so he said if that bottom one wasn't bugging me he recommended we leave it and just take the bottom right out. So we did just that.

In late April early May I noticed that the bottom left wisdom tooth was starting to come through and we decided I better go get it checked. I made the appointment with Dr. Plant in Burley and sure enough it was ready to be taken out and the top two had come down enough that we needed to take all three.

I was pretty bummed. I hate recovering from dental work and I was nervous that because the bottom left tooth was close to a nerve that I would have some permanent numbing :(

We went through a debate about weather to have Dr. Plant just do it in Burley or have an oral surgeon in Idaho Falls do it. Dr. Plant also wasn't on our dental insurance.

I made an appointment with an oral surgeon that was on our insurance (there was only like 4) in IF to see what I thought. I had the x-ray sent over from Dr. Plants and went to the appointment.

Ahead of time I decided not to tell this Dr. about the nerve situation or that I was concerned about it. I'd let him look at the x-ray and see what he said. Turns out he said nothing about the nerve being a concern so I mentioned it at the end and he pretty bluntly said "I'm not concerned with it." I was kind of glad he said it that way because there was no questioning it.

I was pretty sure after that that I would just have Dr. Plant do it and feel more comfortable and just pay the difference. It was worth it!

I went to Burley Wednesday night and then Thursday morning went in. My Mom was so sweet and came with me because Steve really didn't feel like he could miss work. She took such good care of me! It really made it kind of enjoyable :)

freezing my face off!

Day 1

Day 2
Day 3
Steve sent me flowers! :)
Steve came Friday afternoon. I really recovered quickly and didn't have much pain and no permanent numbing!

My Sister is getting her wisdom teeth out in August and I wanted to remember some tips for her:

1. KEEP YOUR LIPS MOISTURIZED both before the surgery and after! Lip balm and coconut oil work great.
2. Eat little bits of things often. No 3 meals a day, more like 10 little meals a day. Also drink as much water as possible.
3. Keep up with your ibuprofen to help with pain and swelling.
4. Keep the swelling down as much as possible. Freeze your face off with ice bags. Just tie those puppies to your face.
5. Shower the morning of surgery. Do your hair, makeup, shave, paint your nails, etc... Your going to bleed and your mouth is going to feel nasty the first day or two but having the rest of your body clean and looking good helped me feel better.
6. As soon as you can rinse your mouth with salt water, do it! For me it felt good and it helped that nasty feeling in your mouth.
7. Stretch your mouth (even a week after just keep stretching)
8. One thing I wish I would have done was take a bath :)
9. Maybe get a new movie you've been wanting to watch. It was nice to look forward to something like that.
10. You are also going to have nasty breath and there isn't a lot you can do about it :/ I did try on the 3rd day to let mints dissolve in my mouth and that helped a bit so it wasn't so nasty when I was talking to people. Just try and brush your teeth and tongue the best you can multiple times a day and just don't talk to people! haha!
11. At night (especially the 1st) just set an alarm for when you need to take your meds (every 4 hours) and at the same time change the ice in your ice bags, stretch your mouth, and moisturize your lips. You might not sleep super well but its worth it to keep on top of everything.
12. Take naps in between eating your 10 meals :)
13. Snow cones were so yummy to eat!
14. Be patient with your recovery. Even after a week I was still having a little bit of swelling and jaw tension. It gets better!

There's my tips :) Love you sis and you will survive!

That Saturday Scott went through the Temple!  That means all of Steve's family has gone through. It was special seeing everyone there! Other than my horrible breath it went well :)


Just a side note. I craved these yummy things from the moment I woke up after getting my teeth out and I couldn't have them but just a few days ago I got to satisfy this craving! Yay!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.